Entering a new environment can be scary for preschoolers.
Although starting preschool is a major milestone, it often comes with lots of crying, uncertainty, and heel digging.
Preparing Kids for Preschool
Preparing your child for preschool can greatly reduce any separation anxiety he may feel when you leave. Here are some ways to familiarize your youngster with his new environment.
- Explain the routines of preschool : Tell her about the games she’ll play, the kids she’ll meet, and how you’ll always be there to pick her up at the end of the day.
- Meet the teacher : Many preschools host an open house, where parents, teachers, and children can get to know each other. There will likely be many parents vying for the teacher’s attention, but make sure you get a chance to chat with her when your child is within earshot.
- Visit the school : Before the school year, take your child around the classroom and point out the different activities he’ll do each day.
- Set up playdates before the school year : Seeing familiar faces in his class will increase your child’s comfort level. So plan playdates with some other classmates before the big day.
- Keep a positive mindset : Your child will take cues from you, so be calm and confident that everything will go well.
- Role play : Pretend play with stuffed animals can help your child adjust to the idea that he’ll be leaving you, but you’ll come back. (For example, his teddy bear goes to school with some other furry friends, and Mommy Teddy leaves and returns after he’s sung a song and had a snack).
- Read books : “Books that describe what happens at school, as well as validate a child’s feelings, can help quell jitters.
- Remind him that you came back : When you pick him up at the end of the day, reinforce the idea that you came back, just like you said you would. This way, each day’s drop-off won’t feel like you’re both starting teary and upsetting goodbyes all over again.
Image Source: https://www.pinterest.com/
Source : https://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/starting-preschool/separation-anxiety/overcoming-separation-anxiety/
(This article/text/quote/image is shared in good spirit to strengthen the education system.)